Hide

ELLERTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"ELLERTON, (or Ellerton Priory) a parish in the Holme Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Howden, near the Bubwith station on the Selby and Market-Weighton branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is scattered, is situated on the E. bank of the river Derwent. A priory was founded here in the beginning of the 13th century by William Fitz-Piers for canons of the Semperingham Order. At the Dissolution its revenue was £78 0s. 10d. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 1110. The church is a stone structure, dedicated to St. Mary. It formed part of the nave of the ancient abbey church. The charities are Bethell's almshouses, with an endowment of £45 per annum, and others producing about £20. The Wesleyans have a chapel."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013