The Ancient Parish of ELLOUGHTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ELLOUGHTON, a parish in the wapentake Harthill, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 3 miles SE. of South Cave. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very Ancient Gothic structure (see Churches for photograph), of which the prebendary of Wetwang, in York cathedral is the patron and the Rev. John Overton, Jun. the vicar; here are likewise a Calvinist and a Methodist chapel. Population with Brough, 383."
"BROUGH, in the parish of Elloughton, wapentake of Harthill, & liberty of St. Peter's; ¾ mile S. of Elloughton, 3 miles SSE. of South Cave. Pop. including Elloughton, 383.
At this place is a Ferry across the Humber to Wintringham, Lincolnshire. Here the Roman road runs from Lincoln to York. This place by Horsley and others, is supposed to have been the Petvasia of Ptolemy. --Drake differs from them, but states, "that it seems to bid fair for being a Roman fortress," &c."
"WAULDBY, in the parish of Elloughton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¼ miles ENE. of Elloughton, 4 miles E. of South Cave. Pop. 44"
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Elloughton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Elloughton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE943279 (Lat/Lon: 53.738967, -0.5718), Elloughton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish