The Ancient Parish of ELVINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ELVINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; 7 miles ESE. of York. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity (see Churches for photograph), was built in the year 1801, by the Rev. A. Cheap, L. L. B. rector, and is a neat building, of which the king is the patron. Here are likewise a Methodist chapel and a subscription school, to the master of which £20. per annum is paid for the instruction of 20 poor boys. Pop. 405."
"NORTH BRINK, (the seat of Alexander Mather, Esq.) in the township and parish of Elvington; 6 miles from York."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 70 gravestones in Elvington Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Elvington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Elvington.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Kelly's Directory, for East and North Ridings, 1872
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Elvington to another place.
- The Elvington History web-site has lots of information about Elvington people and the history of the village.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE700475 (Lat/Lon: 53.918922, -0.935675), Elvington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish