ELVINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"ELVINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles E.S.E. from York, containing 405 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the lung's books at £5. 17. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a neat building, erected in 1801, by the Rev. A. Cheap, L.L.B., rector. -There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school is supported by subscription to the master of which £20 per annum is paid, for the instruction of twenty poor boys."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]