Etton Parish information from Bulmers' 1892.


Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

Wapentake of Harthill (Hunsley Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Etton - Petty Sessional Division of North Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Beverley - Archdeaconry of East Riding - Diocese of York.

This parish is situated between those of Cherry Burton and South Dalton, and contains, according to the Ordnance Survey, 3,728 acres. Its rateable value is £4,218, and its population in 1891 was 398. The land belongs to several owners, the principal of whom are Lord Hotham, Dalton Hall; the exors. of William Gilby, Esq., lords of the manor; and Col. William Henry Grimston, High Hall, Etton.

The village is situated a little off the Beverley and Malton Road, four-and-a-half miles north-west of the former town, and one-and-a-half miles from Cherry Burton station, on the Beverley and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone building, comprising chancel, nave, south aisle, and a low massive western tower containing a clock and three bells. The tower is the oldest part of the fabric, as shown by its Norman architecture. The upper part was rebuilt of brick in the last century, but this was again restored in stone in 1867. In the west front is a semi-circular headed doorway, of singular beauty, with three series of recessed mouldings of birds' heads, &c. The tower arch is a very uncommon and elaborate specimen of Norman architecture, the moulding being exceedingly rich. The nave and chancel were rebuilt in 1844-6. The aisle is divided from the nave by an arcade of pointed arches resting on clustered columns. At the restoration, which took place in 1867, the 15th century Gothic doorway of the south aisle was replaced by a Norman one - an alteration much to be regretted. The church was re-seated at the same time, and during the removal of the old pews the recumbent stone effigy of a female was discovered under the floor. The features were almost obliterated, but armorial carvings are still traceable on the edge of the slab. This funereal monument now occupies a position to the south-west of the chancel arch. The windows which light the chancel are all of stained glass. Two were inserted by the Rev. Robert Machell, a former curate of the parish, two by the Rev. Canon Vernon, and one by Colonel Willliam Henry Grimston to the memory of his uncle. It is a handsome work of art, executed by Capronnier, of Brusssels. The registers date from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Lord Hotham, and held by the Rev. John Charles Wellesley Burnaby, M.A., Trinity Hall, Cambridge. In the Liber Regis it is rated at £20 9s. 4½d., and is now worth £550 a year, including 40 acres of glebe.

The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel in the village, erected in 1845, and repaired in 1884, at a cost of £114, which was raised by voluntary subscriptions. The parish school, with master's house attached, was built in 1856, in lieu of an older one. There is accommodation for 100 children.

The kennels of the Holderness hounds are situated in the village. They were removed hither about half a century ago, and for 34 years the late James Hall, Esq., of Scorborough, the famous East Riding sportsman, was master of the hounds. Arthur Wilson Esq., is the present master; George Ash, huntsman; and William Shaw, stud groom.

High Hall, the property and residence of Colonel William Henry Grimston, is a good modern building, pleasantly situated on elevated ground. The gallant colonel is the third son of the late Charles Grimston, Esq., of Grimston Garth, and inherited this propery from his uncle, H. E. Grimston, in 1865.

CHARITIES. - The poor receive the rents of a cottage and four acres of land at Faxfleet, purchased with £60; and the dividends of £830 in the 4 per cent, consolidated annuities, purchased with £200, left by William Wilson in 1816. There is also a Church Bread Charity, which is distributed among the deserving poor weekly during the winter months.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]


  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.

Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.