The Ancient Parish of EVERINGHAM
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EVERINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; (Everingham Park, the seat of Wm. Constable Maxwell, Esq) 5 miles W. of Market Weighton. There is here a neat modern built church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Rev. Wm. Alderson rector and patron; there is also a Roman Catholic chapel. Population 271.
This village appears to have given name to a family of the same name for, we find that this manor was held by the Everinghams of the Archbishops of York, by the service of performing the office of butler in their house, on the day of the inthronization(=enthronement, put on a throne -CH). The manor now belongs W. C. Maxwell, Esq.
In the mansion house, which is a large and lofty building of brick, of modern erection, with three fronts, is an excellent portrait of King Charles I. on horseback, by Vandyke, full size, and valued by connoisseurs at a thousand guineas. Adjoining is a Roman Catholic chapel, supported by the family."
- Photographs of the over 90 gravestones in Everingham Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Photographs of the over 130 gravestones in Everingham Roman Catholic Cemetery with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Everilda's Church, Everingham, view 1.
- St. Everilda's Church, Everingham, view 2.
- SS Mary & Everilda's Roman Catholic Church, Everingham. Taken by kind permission of Mrs. Guest. Please note that this Church is no longer in use and is on private ground.
- SS Mary & Everilda's Roman Catholic Church, Everingham.
- Transcript of the entry for Everingham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Everingham.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Everingham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE803425 (Lat/Lon: 53.872501, -0.780194), Everingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish