Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: EVERINGHAM.     Church dedication: ST. EMELDIS.     Church type: Discharged Rectory.

Area, 3,080 acres. Harthill wapentake. Holme Beacon. -Population, 276 *1; Church-room, 200 *2; Net value, £237.

The town of Everingham was held by the family of Everingham (viz. half a knight's fee, or the manor) of the fee of the Archbishop of York, by the service of performing the office of butler in his house upon the day of his inthronization ; and two carucates of land were held of the fee of Lincoln, and paid 9s. to the sheriff's fine.

At the time of the Survey, the manor was held by the Archbishop of York.

The Church, in which was a Chantry, was of the patronage of the Everinghams, from them came to the Elleys, then to the Suthills, and from them to the Constables of Flamborough.

Present patron, the Rev. William Alderson.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £10; in the King's books at £8. 6s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 361, at £40 per annum.

An Inclosure Act was passed 5th Geo. III.

16th July 1763, a faculty was granted to rebuild the Church, £240 having been previously collected under a brief.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1653.

Charities:
Doles. -Payment by the Rev. T. C. R. Read. Ancient rent charge of 10s. per annum for the poor, out of an estate at Hayton.

Payment by Mr. R. Rooke. Ancient rent charge of 10s. per annum to the poor, out of an estate at Seaton Ross.

Wood's dole. Vide Pocklington. 5s. per annum to the poor.

Rachel Cook's benefaction. Interest of £3 left in the hands of the overseer, who distributes the amount of the interest in bread. -Vide 10th Report, page 657.

Post town: Market Weighton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1129. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 22. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Evringham,) page 46. Wood's Bodleian MS. No. 5101. Burton's Monasticon, page 294.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 294.

*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 300.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.