[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FANGFOSS, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 4 miles NW. of Pocklington. Here is a chapel (see Churches for photograph), now in charge to the vicar of Barmby upon the Moor, of which the Dean of York is the patron. Pop. 154."
"SPITTAL, a farm house in the parish of Fangfoss, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; ¼ mile SSE. of Fangfoss, 3½ miles NW. of Pocklington. Pop. with Fangfoss, 154."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 140 gravestones in Fangfoss Churchyard with a surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Fangfoss in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Fangfoss.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fangfoss to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE765532 (Lat/Lon: 53.969224, -0.835302), Fangfoss which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial Plaque in St. Martin's Church, Fangfoss.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish