The Ancient Parish of FILEY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FILEY, a parish in the wapentakes of Pickering Lythe, and Dickering; 7½ miles SE. of Scarborough, situated on the banks of a noble bay, abounding with excellent fish, and famous for its lobsters; the sands are very firm, and are bounded on the north by a remarkable ridge of rocks, extending nearly half a mile into the sea, called Filey Bridge. The parochial chapel, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is in the patronage of the Osbaldeston family; here is likewise a Methodist chapel. A very fine spring adjoins the church yard, and supplies the place with most a excellent water. Population 773."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Filey Museum was established over thirty years ago and is housed in buildings dated from 1696.
Exhibits there include hundreds of photographs of Old Filey and its characters, old maps, other written records and, of course, hundreds of other artifacts of local historical interest.
- Open Easter to end of October.
- Telephone 01723 515013 or 515945,
- for more information please turn on Java Script (scripting) to get the email address.
- A large amount of archive material is held by Filey Town Council in The Crimlisk Fisher Archive.
- Please note that St Oswald's church and Gristhorpe church were in the part of Filey parish that was in the North Riding.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Filey in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Filey.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Filey to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA115807 (Lat/Lon: 54.209918, -0.291853), Filey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Filey Casualties The aim of this site is to document the men who died as a result of either of the two World Wars and who were from, or were serving in Filey during them.
- Pam Smith has supplied an article on "The Climmers" or Egg Gatherers of the cliffs of Filey, Speeton, Bempton and Flamborough.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish