Area, 3,090 acres. Pickering Lythe and Dickering wapentake. Population, 1,192 *1; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, £95. -This Church was given by Walter de Gant to the Priory of Bridlington, to which it was appropriated, but no Vicarage ordained therein.
In 1353, the Chapel of Filey was confirmed in its exemption from archidiaconal visitations, and was proved to have been so from time immemorial, as a dependant of the Church of Whitby.
When Hugh was Dean of York, it was agreed, that when the fishermen of Whitby plied at Filey, they should pay their tithe fish there ; and when the fishermen of Filey plied at Whitby, they should pay their tithe fish at that place.
Ralph, the son of Ralph de Nevil, gave the stone in his quarry here towards building the monastery at Bridlington. Roger, the son of Uctred de Gristhorpe, in 1175 gave four acres of land in the field of Gristhorpe, with one messuage, &c., for the finding lights in the house at Fountaines, where the poor and strangers then lay.
Patron, H. Osbaldeston, Esq.
The roof of the Church, says Mr. Cole, appears to have been at some time considerably higher than it is at present, as the tower yet retains the lines of its boundary.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £20; also see Nonae Rolls, page 241 ; in 1707, the Curacy was valued at £16. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 416, it is stated : " The Church now in the North Riding to be accounted in the East Riding ; Lebberston, Gristhorpe, and Newbiggin, in respect of their nearness and convenience, to be made a parish Church, and belong to the North Riding ;" -and in 1818, at £120 per annum.
Augmented in 1780, with £200; in 1791, with £200; and in 1796, with £200, -all by lot ; in 1810, with £300, and £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £400 from Humphrey Osbaldeston, Esq.; and in 1814, with £1,000 from the same grant, by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 28th Geo. III.
There is no glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1573. Deficient, 1683 to 1694 inclusive.
Elisha notes charity, by will, dated 11th August 1697. rent charge of 20s. a year to the poor of Muston, and 20s. a year to the poor of Filey, upon St. Helen's day, being the 3rd day of May.
Poor's Land. Rent of 1a. 0r. 38p., part of a field purchased by Mr. Christopher Russell, of Muston, the 1a. 0r. 38p. having been distinguished and excepted in the printed particulars of sale as belonging to the poor of Filey. At the time of the Report, no rent had been paid since 1817, in consequence of Mr. Russell refusing to pay more than 8s. per annum rent, and the overseers requiring 12s. per annum.
TOWNSHIP OF LEBBERSTON.
Town's Stock. The sum of £6. 10s. in the hands of the overseers. The Commissioners state that no satisfactory account had been given to them of the application of the interest of it, and they recommended that the interest should be distributed among poor persons of the township.
TOWNSHIP OF GRISTHORPE.
Lost charity. The sum of £8. 10s., formerly belonging to the poor of this township, and kept in the hands of the overseers, was lost about the year 1800. -Vide 9th Report, page 733.
Post town: Scarborough.
Torre's MS.. page 917. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 221. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Fucelac), page 11. Burton's Monasticon, pages 72. 78. 168. 222. 226. 231. 234. 235. 361. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 287. 291. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. lxxv. page 793, and vol. lxxvi. page 388. Prickett's Bridlington, page 50. Cole's History of Filey.
*1 Viz. Filey, 802 ; Gristhorpe, 217 ; Lebberston, 173. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,608.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 1,000.