"FILEY, a village in the parish of its name, one mile from Hunmanby, finely situated at the head of the bay to which it gives name. A considerable fishery has long existed here, and large quantities of fish are sent from hence. for the York and Hull markets. This village is resorted to in the season by numerous visitors, who are attracted hither by the grand scenery around, and the remarkably fine sands, for whose accommodation several commodious lodging-houses have been recently erected. The living of the church is a perpetual curacy, and the Rev. Evan Williams is the present incumbent : there are also two small chapels. The entire parish of Filey, which is partly in Pickering Lythe wapentake, north riding, and partly in Dickering wapentake, east riding, contained, in 1821, 1,128 persons."
Note: The directory entry for Filey in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Hunmanby.