"FILEY, is a village, in the parish of its name, partly in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding, and partly in the wapentake of Pickering, North Riding ; that portion of the parish in the latter riding containing the townships of Gristhorpe and Lebberston ; nearly three miles from Hunmanby. The village is finely situated at the head of the bay to which it gives name, where a considerable fishery has long existed ; large quantities of fish being sent from hence for the York and Hull markets. This village is resorted to in the season by numerous families, who are attracted hither by the grand scenery around, and the remarkably fine sands ; and for the accommodation of visitors, there are several commodious lodging houses. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald : the living is a perpetual curacy, of which the Rev. Thomas Norfolk Jackson is the present incumbent. The entire parish contained, by the parliamentary returns for 1831, 1,192 inhabitants.
Please see Hunmanby parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."