Flamborough, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1834.


Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

"FLAMBOROUGH, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, having no township of its name : what may be termed the village, is situated about four miles n.e. from Bridlington. It is chiefly celebrated for its headland, called ' Flamborough Head,' a lofty promontory, overlooking the village, and one of the greatest natural curiosities in the kingdom. The cliffs, which are of lime-stone and purely white, extend in a range from five to six miles, and rise in many places to an elevation of three hundred feet perpendicularly from the sea. At the base, are several extensive caverns, worn by the action of the waves, or formed by some extraordinary convulsion of nature. About a mile and a half from the village, on the extreme point of the promontory, and at an elevation of more than two hundred feet, is a lighthouse, with revolving points, erected in 1806. In the summer season these cliffs are the resort of a vast number of aquatic birds. The scenery in this district is grand and interesting, some vestiges of Danish structures are still to be seen in it, consisting of an ancient ruin at the west end of the parish, called the ' Danes Tower ', and the entrenchments around it, denominated ' Little Denmark '. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to St. Oswald, and a chapel each for primitive and Wesleyan methodists. The parish contained, in 1821, 917 inhabitants, and in 1831, 975.
Please see Bridlington Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this village."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]