Flamborough, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.


Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"FLAMBOROUGH, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Bridlington, its post town. There is a post and money-order office, and post-office savings-bank. The Marton station, on the Hull and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway, is 2 miles W. of the village. Flamborough is the most easterly point of this part of the county, stretching some distance into the sea, and forming the N.E. boundary of Bridlington Bay. It is the Fleamburg of the Saxons, supposed to be so named from the "flame," or beacon anciently lighted on the cliffs to direct mariners in the navigation of the North Sea. The Danes early effected a landing here, built a place of defence still called the Danes' Tower, and dug the extensive ditch known as the Danes' Dike, protected by two lines of defence and oreastworks. King Harold in his time held the demesne, which afterwards passed to the Le Gros and Constable families. The' principal object of interest is Flamborough Head, a promontory of limestone and chalk cliffs, abounding with singular and extensive caverns, the resort of wild and sea fowl. These cliffs extend a distance of 5 miles along the coast, and in some parts rise to the height of 400 feet. The lighthouse, put up in 1806, is a round brick tower, standing on the summit, and near the eastern point, of the headland. Its lantern has three faces, with seven reflectors to each, and by means of machinery is made to present each of its faces seawards in succession, changing its position every two minutes. It is visible for 19 miles, and stands in N. latitude 54° 7' and E. longitude 0° 5'. The ancient lighthouse, an octagonal tower N. of the new, is now used as a signal or telegraph of passing vessels. Fishing is extensively carried on, giving employment to the larger portion of the inhabitants. The coastguard service has a station here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £130. The church is a stone edifice of the middle ages. It is dedicated to St. Oswald, and contains a brass and monuments of the Constable and Strickland families and others. There are charities of about £3 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there are National and infant schools for both sexes. A fog-gun signal has lately been erected S. of the lighthouse, and a battery at the N. shore. Sir John Puckering, Keeper of the Great Seal in the reign of Elizabeth, was a native of this place. Walter Strickland, Esq., is lord of the manor. A pleasure fair is held on Whit-Tuesday,"

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013