Hide

FOLKTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"FOLKTON, a parish in the wapentake of DICKERING, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Flixton and Folkton, and containing 411 inhabitants, of which number, 144 are in the township of Folkton, 6 miles S.E. from Scarborough. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeacon-, ry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £8. 11. 10., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty; there is also a sinecure rectory, rated at £15. H. Osbaldeston, Esq. was patron in 1817. The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist."


"FLIXTON, a township in the parish of FOLKTON, wapentake of DICKERING, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S. from Scarborough, containing 267 inhabitants. An hospital was founded here in the reign of Athelstan, by one Acchorn, a knight, for an alderman and fourteen brethren and sisters, " to preserve travellers from wolves and other wild beasts;" it was restored and confirmed in the 25th of Henry VI., by the name of Carman's Spittle, but was dissolved before the 26th of Henry VIII: a farm-house occupies its site."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]