FOLKTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"FOLKTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Hunmanby, and 6 S. of Scarborough, its post town. It is situated to the N. of the Wolds, and includes the townships of Flixton and Folkton, with the hamlets of East and West Flotmanby. The village is small, but neatly built. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £400. The church is an ancient stone edifice dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and has a circular antique font. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels at Flixton, and there is a National school for both sexes. J. B. Tate, Esq., is lord of the manor. The tithes have been commuted for land and a money payment under the Enclosure Act of 1802."
"EAST FLOTMANBY, (and West Flotmanby) hamlets in the township of Flixton and parish of Folkton, East Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Scarborough."
"FLIXTON, a township in the parish of Folkton, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 1 mile W. of Folkton, and 5 miles S. of Scarborough. It is situated on the Wolds, and includes the hamlets of East and West Flotmanby. A hospice, or spittle, was founded here in the reign of Athelstan, by Aechorne, lord of the manor, for the safety and entertainment of travellers, the neighbourhood at that time being infested by wolves. It was restored and confirmed in the 25th Henry VI. by the name of Carman's Spittle, but was dissolved before the 26th Henry VIII. The spot is now covered by a farm and outbuildings. There are two chapels belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013