Foston On The Wolds
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FOSTON ON THE WOLDS, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 6 miles ESE. of Driffield. There is here a church, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), of which the King is patron, and the Rev. Sidney Smith rector; there are also Methodist and Calvinist chapels. Pop. 300."
"BRIGHAM, in the parish of Foston on the Wolds, and wapentake of Dickering; 2 miles SW. of Foston on the Wolds, 5 miles SE. of Driffield. Pop. 103."
"FISH HOLME, a farm house in the township of Brigham, and parish of Foston on the Wolds; 2½ miles SW. of Foston on the Wolds, 5½ miles from Driffield."
"GEMBLING, in the parish of Foston on the Wolds, and wapentake of Dickering; 1 mile NNE. of Foston on the Wolds, 7 miles E. of Driffield. Pop. 87."
"GREAT KELK, in the parish of Foston on the Wolds, and wapentake of Dickering; 1¼ miles N. of Foston on the Wolds, 6¾ miles E. of Driffield. Pop. 158."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 170 gravestones and plaques at Foston on the Wolds with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Foston on the Wolds in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Foston On The Wolds to another place.
- The history of the parish in St. Andrew's Church, Foston on the Wolds.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA101559 (Lat/Lon: 53.987427, -0.322326), Foston On The Wolds which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish