The Ancient Parish of FOXHOLES
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FOXHOLES, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 6 miles SW. of Hunmanby. The parish church (see Churches for photograph) is a rectory, in the patronage of the Sykes' family; there is also a Methodist Chapel. Pop. with Boythorp, 169."
"BOYTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Foxholes, and wapentake of Dickering; 1¼ miles SW. of Foxholes, 10 miles N. of Great Driffield. Population with Foxholes, 160."
"BUTTERWICK, in the parish of Foxholes, wapentake of Dickering; 1¾ miles SW. of Foxholes, 7 miles N. of Driffield. There is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. Wm. Preston is curate, and the rector of Foxholes is patron. Population, 98."
"FALKNER HALL, (or Falconers Hall) (the seat of the late Col. Thornton, unoccupied,) in the township of Butterwick, and parish of Foxholes; 10 miles from Bridlington, 12 from Scarborough."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 120 gravestones and plaques at Foxholes with linked surname index..
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Foxholes to another place.
- In 1858, the chapelry of Butterwick (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Butterwick Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA013731 (Lat/Lon: 54.143754, -0.450739), Foxholes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA002721) Boythorpe Cottage
- (TA011730) Foxholes Manor
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish