Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: FRIDAYTHORPE.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 2,070 acres. Buckrose wapentake *1- Population, 283 ; Church-room, 300; Net value, £112.

Patron and impropriator; the Prebendary of Wetwang in York Cathedral.

The Prebendary of Fridaythorpe had anciently some jurisdiction within the parish, but none such is now exercised.

The Prebendary of Fridaythorpe, alias Tang, hath here one capital messuage and twenty-two tenements, and forty-four oxgangs of land, and jurisdiction over his tenants, but the Church of Fridaythorpe belongs to the Prebend of Wetwang, where there is a Vicarage endowed *2, to which, in 1401, an augmentation of four oxgangs of land out of the Prebend's glebe was added. Edwin Sandys, son of the Archbishop, made also an augmentation of £12 payable by the lessee of the Prebend.

One tenement and four oxgangs also belonged to a Chantry in York Minster.

The Vicarage is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £5; in the King's books at £4. 13s. 4d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 435, it is stated : " The parsonage is worth £40 per annum, and belongs to Colonel Sandyes ;" and in 1818, the Vicarage was certified at £100 per annum. CheckForStars(input);

An Inclosure Act was passed 50th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1687. No marriage Registers from 1739 to 1755 can be found, but there are transcripts in the Prebendal Registry at York.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Driffield.

Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 194. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 131. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Fridaytorp), pages 33. 47. 214.

*1 Partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York.

*2 Torre does not give the date of the endowment. The first institution mentioned ih his catalogue of Vicars, is dated in 1320.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.