Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: GANTON. Church dedication: ST. NICHOLAS. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 3,650 acres. Dickering wapentake. --Population *2, 275 ; Church-room, 200; Net value, £131.
" The Church, then a Chapel under Willerby, was by Adelardus Venator given to the Canons of Bridlington, to which Priory it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein 31st July, 1367, and after the Dissolution the Patronage passed to the Legards. Now held as a Perpetual Curacy.
Patron, Sir Thomas de Legard, Bart.
The Vicar is charged with one-third of the expense of rebuilding the Chancel.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10; and in his new taxation, at £5. 6s. 8d.; in the King's Books (where it is called a Discharged Vicarage), at £3. 2s. 6d.; Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; Pension to the Prior of Bridlington, 4s.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 410, it is stated : " The tithes are Mr. Legard's, and are worth £50; Vicarage, £25;" and in 1818, at £150 per annum.
The glebe house is fit for residence. It was rebuilt by faculty dated 3rd February, 1738.
The Register Books commence in 1553, but there are many chasms. Entries of marriages deficient, 1757 to 1792 inclusive. Vide Transcripts at York.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Scarborough.
Torre's MS., page 897. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 213. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Galmeton), pages 14. 235. Burton's Monast. pages 229. 344. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 287. 291. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 349.
*1 or Galmpton.
*2 Ganton with Brompton.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.