GANTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"GANTON, a parish in the wapentake of DICKERING, East riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.S.W. from Scarborough, containing, with Brompton, 278 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 2. 6. Sir Thomas Legard, Bart, was patron in 1828. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]