GANTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"GANTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 6 miles W. of Hunmanby, and 8 S.W. of Scarborough. Malton is its post town. The Ganton station on the York and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway is a short distance from the village. The hamlet of Potter Brompton is in the parish The land is chiefly arable. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1803. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £131. The church is an ancient edifice, with lofty tower and spire, and has a handsome E. window of stained-glass. It is dedicated to St. Michael, and contains monuments of the Legards. There is a parochial school for both sexes. Ganton Hall, a fine mansion surrounded by extensive grounds of great beauty, is the seat of Sir T. D. Legard, Bart., who is lord of the manor."
"POTTER BROMPTON, a township in the parish of Ganton, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 1 mile W. of Ganton, and 12 miles N. of Great Driffield."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013