GANTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Dickering - County Council Electorial Division of Sherburn - Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Scarborough - Rural Deanery of Scarborough - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish is situated on the northern boundary of the Riding between Willerby and Sherburn. Its area, according to the Ordnance Survey, is 3,982 acres; its rateable value is £4,288, and its population in 1891 was 376. The soil is various; in the south where the parish extends upon the Wolds it is chalky; further north it is sand and stiff clay, and in the neighbourhood of the Carrs, peat. Sir Charles Legard, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
The village called Galmeton in Domesday Book, stands on the road from Malton to Filey, about eight miles south-south-west from Scarborough, eight miles west from Hunmanby, and about half-a-mile from the station of its own name, on the York and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, north aisle and chapel, south porch, and western embattled tower, with spire, containing three bells. The aisle is separated from the nave by pointed arches springing from octagonal columns. The east end of this aisle, now separated from the chancel and nave by a wooden partition, was formerly a side chapel and still retains its ancient piscina and aumbry. There are seyeral memorial windows and mural monuments bearing eulogistic epitaphs to the Legard family. The church was restored in 1860, at the expense of the late Sir F. D. Legard, Bart. The registers date from the time of Edward VI., and contain some interesting entries. The rectory of Galmpton was given by Adelard, the hunter, to Bridlington Priory, and a vicarage was thenceforth ordained. It remained in the possession and patronage of that house till the dissolution of monasteries. In the Liber Regis the living is rated at £5 2s. 6d., and is now worth £170 a year. It is in the gift of Sir Charles Legard, Bart., and held by the Rev. Hy. Pearson Bainbridge, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There are 246 acres of glebe.
The Vicarage house is a commodious residence built in 1868, at a cost of £1500.
GANTON HALL, the seat of Sir Charles Legard, Bart., is a large mansion of brick, picturesquesly seated on rising ground near the village, and surrounded by pleasure grounds and plantations. It was built in 1866-8 by the present owner, and near by stand the ruins of the old hall. The Legard family is said to be of Norman extraction, and settled at Anlaby, near Hull, somewhere about the year 1100, when Robert Legard married the Anlaby heiress. The first of the family to settle at Ganton was John, usually styled de Ganton, a younger son of Ralph Legard, of Anlaby. His son, John Legard, was a staunch Royalist and a devoted adherent of Charles I. in the time of the Civil Wars. He married Mary, daughter and heiress of John Dawnay, Esq., of Potter Brompton, and was succeeded by his son, John Legard, who inherited his father's principles. He was among the first of those gentlemen who embodied themselves under the command of Lord Fairfax and hoodwinked General Lambert by surprising York, thus facilitating the march of General Monk out of Scotland, and the restoration of Charles II. For this service he was rewarded with a baronetcy in 1660. Sir Charles, the 11th and present baronet, succeeded his brother, Sir D'Arcy Widdrington, in 1866. He was M.P. for Scarborough from 1874 to 1880.
The parochial school in the village was erected in 1837, and is attended by about 70 children. There is a reading room and library connected with it.
POTTER BROMPTON is a township and hamlet consisting of three farm houses and a few cottages, situated about one mile west of Ganton. This place formerly belonged to John Dawnay, Esq., whose daughter and sole heiress, Mary, married John Legard, Esq., of Ganton, early in the 17th century, and thus conveyed the estate to that family. Not a vestige of the hall of the Dawnays now remains to show either its exact site or extent, but the fine timber growing, in what is pointed out as having been the park around the hall, confirms the tradition that there was once a mansion here occupied by a family of distinction.
DAWNAY LODGE, the residence of Mr. James Kirk, C.C. for the Sherburn division, is an excellent farm house, erected in 1889, close to the reputed site of Dawnay hall.
A portion of Potter Brompton is glebe and belongs to the vicar of Ganton.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.