Garton On The Wolds
The Ancient Parish of GARTON ON THE WOLDS
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GARTON ON THE WOLDS, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, and liberty of St. Peter's; 3 miles WNW. of Driffield. The church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Michael, is a discharged vicarage, of which the King is the patron, and Rev. Thomas Ibbotson the vicar. There are here also a Methodist chapel and a school, the latter of which is partly supported by the proceeds of a share in the Driffield canal, bequeathed by the late Mrs. Jane Cook. Pop. 357."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 250 gravestones and plaques at Garton on the Wolds with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of the Church:
- St. Michael and All Angels' Church, Garton on the Wolds.
- another view of St. Michael and All Angels' Church, and inside the church are the wall paintings:
- Transcript of the entry for Garton on the Wolds in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Garton on the Wolds.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Garton On The Wolds to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE981595 (Lat/Lon: 54.022186, -0.504108), Garton On The Wolds which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Roll of Honour for WWI in St. Michael's Church, Garton on the Wolds.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish