GARTON ON THE WOLDS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"GARTON ON THE WOLDS, a parish partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, and partly in the wapentake of DICKERING, East riding of the county of YORK, S miles W.N.W. from Great Driffield, containing 357 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 6, 8., endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school is partly supported by the proceeds of a share in the Driffield canal, bequeathed by the late Mrs, Jane Cdok."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]