Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: GOODMANHAM.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 2,930 acres. Harthill wapentake. Holme Beacon *1. -Population, 268 *2; Church-room, 250; Net value, £447.

The town of Godmandham, saith Camden, was so called of certain heathen gods or idols in the Saxon's time, of which it was an habitation or temple.

And when the Britons flourished here was a famous oracle, much frequented by superstitious people of those parts.

But when Paulinus preached Christ unto the Northumbrians, one Cofti, the pontifix or bishop of their heathen rites, being converted to the Christian religion, destroyed it by fire, with all its inclosures.

In the Saxon's days, this town had for its lord the famous Ulphus, prince of the Deiri, and great benefactor to the Church of York, who (amongst other his ample donations) conferred upon it four carucates of land in this town, probably the same which now belongs to the prebendary of Fridaythorpe.

The Rectory was formerly in three parts, each of whom had its several Rectors, of the patronage of the Grymstons; one of which three parts having been granted by Mr. John de Hoveden, the then Rector thereof, to the Priory of Ellerton, that house re-granted to him and his heirs the advowson, together with one oxgang of land. Afterwards they were all consolidated into one Rectory.

9th Kal. December 1328, Sir Roger de Grimston, the patron, called upon the Prior of Walton, and the rest of the land-owners of Kiblingcotes, and the Prior of Ellerton, and the inhabitants of Easthorpe, to contribute towards the rebuilding and repairs of this Church of Goodmanham.

The Grimstons presented till 1673. Present patron, J. Clark, Esq.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £18. 13s. 4d., viz. William's part £10. 13s. 4d., and Hugh's part £8; in the King's books at £12. 11s. 8d.; Synodals and Procurations 12s., and Thraves £1. 13s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 364, it is stated : " tithes worth £80 per annum."

The parish was anciently within the jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York.

A mortgage of £1,623 under Gilbert's Act, will cease in 1842.

An Inclosure Act was passed 15th Geo. III. (Normanton and Cow Meadow.)

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books for burials commence in 1678, for births and marriages in 1696.

Charities:
Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. rent charge of 2s. 6d. to poor persons not receiving relief from the parish.

Robert Stephenson's dole. 5s. per annum, as above.

William Stephenson's dole. rent charge of 2s. per annum, given in like manner as the preceding.

Robert Cross's charity, by will, in 1775. 2s. per annum, to be laid out in white bread, and distributed by the minister and Churchwardens at Easter and Christmas. -Vide 11th Report, page 731.

Post town: Market Weighton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1145. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 27. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Gudmundham), pages 12. 46. 78. 169. Burton's Monast., pages 260. 280. Thompson's Occ. Prom., page 114.


Notes:
*1 Partly within the liberty of St. Peter of York.

*2 In 1834, the Population was returned at 250.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.