Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: GOXHILL. Church dedication: ST. GILES. Church type: Discharged Rectory.
Area, 880 acres. Holderness wapentake, N.D. -Population, 65 ; Church-room, 100 *1; Net value, £284.
Robert de Gousle held in Gousle (Goxhill) six carucates of land.
This Church was anciently of the patronage of the Lelleys or De Lewe, from them to the Stokes, of Bikerton, and from them to the Constables.
Present Patron, the Rev. C. Constable.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £5; in the King's books, at £8; Synodals and Procurations, 14s. 2d; and Church of Beverley, 13s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 300, it is stated : " Clear value per annum £42. 16s. 6d., including two oxgangs."
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " only a cottage." And it is also returned in 1834 as unfit.
The Register Books commence in 1561.
Parochial charities, no return.
Post town: Hornsea.
Torres MS., page 1449. Abp. Sharp's MS., ii. page 175. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Golse), page 176. Burton's Monasticon, page 386.
*1 Agreeably to the return of 1818 ; in 1834 the return was " sufficient."
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.