GOXHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"GOXHILL, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, llf miles E.N.E. from Beverley, containing 70 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £8. The Rev. C. Constable was patron in 1818. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, and standing upon an eminence amidst lofty trees, is of considerable antiquity; it has lately undergone a thorough repair. To the southward of the village are the remains of an ancient edifice, the upper story of which was probably a chapel, lighted by large pointed windows, and the lower, consisting of several vaulted apartments, the offices of a mansion."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]