Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: LITTLE DRIFFIELD. Church dedication: SAINT PETER.
Harthill wapentake. Bainton Beacon *1. -Population, 92, vide Great Driffield *2 ; Chapel-room, 100; Net value, vide Great Driffield. -Archbishop Sharp says Little Driffield is a distinct parish. It is, however, only one Cure with Great Driffield, and was so acknowledged in 1365, when on the 21st July, John, Vicar of Driffield, appeared before the Chapter, and acknowledged himself to be bound to find one Chaplain or himself to celebrate divine service in the parish Church of Little Driffield, and to minister the sacraments to the parishioners, and the sacramentals to the ecclesiastics.
The Prebendary hath his manor in Little Driffield, and certain tenants holding of him by annual rents, but not by suit of Court, over which he hath all manner of jurisdiction.
Patron, the Prebendary of the Cathedral of York. Vide Great Driffield.
Valued in the King's books, as a Vicarage, at £5. 3s. 5d. per annum.
Augmented in 1821, with £400 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot ; and in 1825, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Hon. and Rev. Edward Rice, D.D.
No return as to glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1578.
Parochial Charities. -Vide Great Driffield.
Post town: Great Driffield.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 656. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 183.
*1 Partly in Peter liberty.
*2 In 1834, the return for the Chapelry was 194.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.