Hide

DRIFFIELD: Driffield Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

DRIFFIELD.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

An Independent chapel was built in Driffield in 1802. Galleries were attached in 1819.
  • 1806. Rev. B. HOBSON, the first minister. He remained till 1813, then removed to Welford, Northampton.
  • 1814. Rev. C. BARTLETT. He removed in 1817.
  • 1817. Rev. S. WATKINSON. He removed to Selby, in 1824. The chapel then received the aid of students until-
  • 1830. Rev. W. HUDSWELL. He left for Leeds in 1832.
  • Circ. 1833. Rev. ROBINSON
  • Pool. (from Thornton). He resigned 1841.
  • 1842. Rev. H. BIRCH. Died Nov. 1856.
  • 1857. Rev. W. MITCHELL (Cheshunt Coll.). The present minister (in 1868).

A new school-room, with classrooms, was built in 1864, at the cost of £750.

A new chapel was built in 1867, at the cost (including site and organ) of £2,000.

Nafferton Chapel, in which was a congregation of United Baptists and Independents, was, during the early part of the century, partially supplied by the Driffield ministers. It is now in the hands of the Wesleyan Reformers.

NOTES:-
* By aid of Rev. W. Mitchell.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.