[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GREAT GIVENDALE, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 4 miles N. of Pocklington. The church is a small ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), of which the Dean of York is the patron, and the Rev. Edmund Holmes the vicar. Pop. 60."
"GRIMTHORPE, in the parish of Great Givendale, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; ½ mile SSE. of Great Givendale, 4 miles N. of Pocklington. Pop. 29."
"LITTLE GIVENDALE, 2 farm houses in the parish of Great Givendale, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 1 mile ESE. of Great Givendale, 2½ miles NNE. of Pocklington"
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 35 gravestones in Great Givendale Churchyard with a surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Great Givendale in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Great Givendale.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Givendale to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE811538 (Lat/Lon: 53.973915, -0.765037), Great Givendale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish