Area, 1,130 acres. Harthill wapentake. Wilton Beacon *1. -Population, 78 *2; Church-room, 50 *3; Net value, vide Millington.
The Prebendary of Givendale is lord hereof, and hath the site of his manor, five tenements, and as many oxgangs of land, and had all manner of jurisdiction over his tenants ; but no ecclesiastical jurisdiction is now exercised by the Prebendary.
And the Prebendary of Salton hath one tenement and six oxgangs of land in Givendale.
The Church was anciently a Chapel appendant to the Church of Pocklington, but 8th Id. November 1252, a Vicarage was ordained in the Chapels of Givendale and Millington, reserving 2s. per annum to the mother church, in name of subjection. " Millington is as much a parish Church," says Archbishop Sharp, " as Givendale, though they have but one Vicar."
Patron, the Dean of York.
Torre gives a broken catalogue of the Vicars.
Valued in the King's books at £3. 18s. 4d. per annum, and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 382, it is stated to be " in the hands of the Commonwealth."
Augmented in 1742 with £200, to meet benefaction of £500 from the Hon. and Rev. Edward Finch's executor; and in 1757 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 by will, from J. Atkins, Esq.
An Inclosure Act was passed 3 and 4 Wm. IV.
No glebe house in 1818. No return made in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1710. The early ones much decayed.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Pocklington.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 676. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. p. 95. Bawdwen's Domes. day Book (Ghiuedale, Gherindale), pages 14. 55. 92; (Grimtorp, Torgrimestorp), 13. 234. Burton's Monasticon, page 168.
*1 Partly in the liberty of St Peter of York.
*2 Viz. Great Givendale 59, and Grimthorpe 19.
*3 III 1818 the return was 120.