GREAT GIVENDALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"GREAT GIVENDALE, a parish in the Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Pocklington, its post town and railway station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern line, and 12 S. of Malton. It includes the township of Grimthorpe. The people are employed in agriculture. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with a considerable proportion of woodland. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Millington, in the diocese of York. The church is a modern structure with fine painted window."
"GRIMTHORPE, a township in the parish of Great Givendale, Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Pocklington."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013