GREAT GIVENDALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (Wilton Beacon Division) - County Council and Petty Sessional Divisions of Wilton Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Pocklington - Rural Deanery of Pocklington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish comprises the townships of Great Givendale and Grimthorpe. The former contains 747 acres of land, solely the property of J. R. Singleton, Esq., who is also lord of the manor. It is united with Grimthorpe for rating purposes, joint value, £1,053, and population 73. The soil is of a light chalky nature, but very productive; the subsoil is chalk and clay. Wheat, barley, oats, seeds, and turnips are the chief crops. The surface is diversified, and the scenery picturesque.
The village of Great Givendale is small, and is situated at the western foot of the Wolds, about four miles north of Pocklington, whereat is the nearest railway station. The church, the name of which is unknown, dates from the 12th century, but was almost wholly re-built in 1849, in the Gothic style. It consists of chancel, nave, and western turret, containing two bells. A new vestry was added in 1886, in memory of John Singleton and Rebecca, his wife, and the carved oak pulpit was the gift of the same family. All the fittings are of oak. The stained east window was presented by the Rev. W.R. Griesbach in 1849. The fine old Norman chancel arch has been retained, and the remains of the ancient font are still preserved in the church. There is a tablet to the memory of the Singleton family, ranging from John Singleton, Esq., who was jockey for the Marquis of Rockingham, and died in 1793, to the present time. The register dates from the year 1658. The living is a vicarage, united with Millington, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held by the Rev. Baldwin Eyre Wake, M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford, who resides at Millington.
Givendale gives title to a prebendal stall in York Cathedral, to support which, a portion of the great tithes were appropriated. Tithe amounting to £50 belongs to the Dean of York.
GRIMTHORPE (from Grimr a Norse personal name) is a township and hamlet, containing 567 acres of land, delightfully situated about half-a-mile south of the parish church. For the maintenance of the poor it is united with Great Givendale. The estate was purchased by the widow of Sir Thomas Denison, Knt., the eminent judge, and at her death, she bequeathed this and other estates to her grand-niece, Maria Beverley, who married Sir Edmund Beckett, Bart. The latter assumed the additional name of Denison, but afterwards, on succeeding to his father's baronetcy, resumed the family name of Beckett. Sir Edmund, his eldest son and successor, and present owner of Grimthorpe estate, famous in connection with the great clock of the Houses of Parliament, was created Baron Grimthorpe in 1886. There are 11 acres of glebe. The tithe, amounting to £50, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.