The Ancient Parish of HALSHAM
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HALSHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 4 miles NW. of Patrington. This village consists chiefly of a number of respectable farm houses, scattered at irregular distances from each other. The Church is an ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to All Saints, of which Lord Montague is the patron, and the Rev. Charles Mace, the rector. On a small eminence stands a stately Mausoleum, built of the best white free stone, faced with polished marble, and in the centre an elegant monument in memory of the late Sir William Constable, Bart. of Burton Constable, who lies here, surrounded by the ancestors of that ancient family. The erection of this superb structure cost the sum of £10,000. Sir John Constable, of Kirkby Knowle, 1584, left by will the sum of £80. per annum, to be paid out of his estate forever, for the following purposes -£20. for the education of 8 poor children, £24. to furnish the aforesaid children with satchels, books, &c and £32. to be distributed amongst eight poor old men, and £4. to two poor old women, with the hospital erected for their use. Pop. 315."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 210 gravestones and plaques at Halsham with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Halsham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Halsham.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Halsham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA272272 (Lat/Lon: 53.7257, -0.073561), Halsham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish