Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HALSHAM.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 2,800 acres. Holderness wapentake, S.D. -Population, 302 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £631. -The patronage anciently belonged to the Lords Dunbar. In 1696 Ralph Rand presented ; in 1722 the Earl of Cardigan; in 1726, and 1737, ditto ; in 1768, and 1770, the Duke of Montague ; and in 1825, John Dyneley, Esq.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £11. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books, at £10, after deducting for Synodals, 10s.; the Collegiate Church of Beverley, £2. 16s. 8d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 269 ; " Rectory worth £65 per annum ;" and in 1818, at £30 per annum.

Jurisdiction. - In the diocese of York. -Vide Beverley.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, " On account of the decayed state of the walls and timber ;" but it is now fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1563.

Charities:
The School and Hospital, founded by Sir John Constable, Knight, by will, dated 13th May 1579, and confirmed by letters patent, dated 28th March, 26th Elizabeth (1584). The free school is for eight poor scholars, and the hospital for eight poor men, and two poor women. The building belonging to the school and hospital contains eight apartments for the men, two for the women ; a common hall on the ground floor; and a school, and apartments for the schoolmaster, on the floor above. Endowment, rent charge of £80 per annum : £20 per annum is paid to the schoolmaster ; £3 each per annum to eight free scholars ; £4 each to the eight poor men in the hospital, and £2 each to the two poor women : but these payments are subject to ten pence in the pound (£3. 6s. 8d.), for the repairs of the buildings, which sum the Commissioners reported to be insufficient, but which was made good by Sir Thomas Constable. The boys admitted as free scholars continue at school from the age of six or seven years to fourteen, and are instructed in English grammar, writing, and accounts. The scholars and almspeople are nominated by Sir Thomas's steward on his behalf, from a list furnished by the parish officers and parishioners, the almspeople to be chosen from the eldest persons in the parish, with a preference to such as do not receive parochial relief.

Dame Catherine Constable's gifts, by will, dated 4th August 1590, and by deed of appointment of new trustees, dated 7th May 1688. Rents-charge of £16. 13s. 4d. per annum. £10 per annum as an exhibition for the maintenance of a scholar to be sent from Halsham school to Trinity College, Oxford, and to receive the exhibition for seven years ; but at the time of the Report no scholar had ever been sent from Halsham school to Trinity College, Oxford, and the exhibition has never been either received or called for ; and £6. 13s. 4d. per annum, for the apprenticing one of the scholars of the free school at Halsham. The Commissioners reported that by a decree of the Commissioners of Charitable Uses, dated 16th June 1674, it was found that since the death of the said Catherine Constable the lands in Gates had come into the possession of John Wycliffe, of Gates, Esquire, and the lands in Stainhoe, into the possession of Christopher Wilkinson, of London, Esquire, by whom, or their assignees, the property was enjoyed; and further reported, that as the rent charge had never been either paid or demanded, it appeared to them that after so great a lapse of time it would probably not be attended with any useful effect to institute a more particular inquiry into the subject, or to recommend the adoption of any proceedings for re-establishing the charity. -Vide 10th Report, page 661.

Post town: Hedon.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1565. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 154. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Halsam), pages 43. 178. Burton's Monast. page 232. Gilbert's Liber Scholasticus, page 288.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the population was returned at 310.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.