"HALSHAM, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.E. from Hedon, containing 315 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Sir T. Constable, Bart. The church is dedicated to All Saints; on an eminence near it is a neat mausoleum, built of white freestone faced with polished marble, having in the centre a beautiful monument to the memory of the late Sir William Constable, whose remains lie here, surrounded by those of his ancestors. Sir John Constable, in 1579, bequeathed a rent- charge of £80, for one thousand years, which was confirmed and vested in certain trustees by patent of Elizabeth, in 1584, for the purposes of a free school for eight poor children, and an hospital for eight men and two women of the parish; and to which Dame Catherine Constable added £6. 13. 4. a year, for putting out apprentices, and £10 annually for the maintenance at Trinity College, Oxford, for a term of seven years, and Pn in succession, of one scholar educated here."