HALSHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HALSHAM, a parish in the S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Patrington, its post town, and 2 from the Ottringham railway station. It is a small and scattered village, and contains a hospital for eight poor men and two women, founded in 1579 by Sir John Constable. The soil and subsoil are chiefly marl and clay. The surface is flat, and was formerly subject to inundation. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £760. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone and brick structure, containing a chantry chapel, stone font, and modern brick vestry, with tower and two bells. The register dates from 1563. The church contains tombs of the Constables, also an alabaster monument with the figure of a knight. Near the church, in a small plantation, is a mausoleum belonging to the Constable family. It is built with white freestone, and has a dome surmounted with a cross. The interior is paved with dark polished marble, and in the centre is a white marble urn with an inscription to Sir William Constable. There is an endowed school for boys. The charities produce £80 per annum, chiefly devoted to the support of the hospital and of the free school. Sir T. A. Clifford Constable is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013