Hide

HARPHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"HARPHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Driffield. Hull is its post town. The village, which is small, was the birth-place of St. John of Beverley. For nearly eight centuries this place has belonged to the St. Quintin family, whose founder came over with the Conqueror. Near the church are vestiges of their ancient mansion and fish-ponds. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Burton-Agnes, in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. John of Beverley, is an ancient stone structure, with tower containing three bells. The chancel was rebuilt in 1827. The church contains a N. chapel, the windows of which are of stained glass, with the armorial bearings, &c., of the St. Quintin family; also three brasses representing full-length effigies. The chancel contains several monuments; one of which is to Charlotte, wife of Sir William Quintin-it represents a figure of Grief, holding profiles of her and Sir William. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. William St. Quintin, Esq., is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013