Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HARSWELL. Church dedication: ST. PETER. Church type: Discharged Rectory.
Area, 720 acres. Harthill wapentake. Holme Beacon. -Population, 70 *1; Church-room, 100; Net value, £198.
This Rectory was a long time in the patronage of the Salvins, from them of the Gascoignes, and now of the Slingsbys, Barts.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £3. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books at £4, after deducting for Synodals and Procurations 9s. 6d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 362, at £24, and stated to be " fit to be united to Everingham, distance less than a mile ;" and in 1818, at £103 per annum.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as very unfit for residence ; and it was also returned unfit in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1653.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Market Weighton.
Torre's MS., page 1195. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 23. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ersuuelle), page 12.
*1 In the return made to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1834, the Population is stated to be only 35.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.