HARSWELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HARSWELL, a parish in the Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Market Weighton, and 13½ from Selby, by the Selby and Market Weighton railway, which has a station at Harswell Gate. This parish is very small, and the soil chiefly sandy. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £169 Gs. 10d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small plain structure. Sir Charles Slingsby is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013