Hide

Harswell parish:

hide
Hide
Hide

Harswell, History transcription:

The plaque about re-building of the Church in St. Peter's Church, Harswell.


THIS CHURCH OF ST. PETER WAS OPENED
FOR PUBLIC WORSHIP BY WILLIAM ARCHBISHOP
OF YORK JUNE 5th AD 1871: HAVING BEEN REBUILT ON
THE SITE OF A FORMER VERY ANCIENT ONE
WHICH THROUGH AGE AND DECAY HAD BECOME
UNFITTED FOR THE SERVICE OF GOD: BY EMMA
LOUISA CATHERINE SLINGSBY OF SCRIVEN AND
HER HUSBAND THOMAS SLINGSBY
THE EAST WINDOW THE GIFT OF BASIL THOMAS
WOODD M.P. OF CONYNGHAM HALL KNARESBRO.
AND HIS BROTHERS WAS PLACED TO THE MEM-
ORY OF REV'd HENRY MITTON 38 YEARS RECTOR
OF HARSWELL WHOSE BODY RESTS IN THE CHANCEL.
THE REREDOS: TO THE GLORY OF GOD, AND IN
MEMORY OF OF SIR CHA's SLINGSBY OF SCRIVEN BAR't
WHO WAS ACCIDENTALLY DROWNED IN THE
RIVER URE AT NEWBY, FEB 4TH 1869 WAS ERECTED
BY THE INHABITANTS OF HARSWELL AND O-
THERS: WHO DEEPLY MOURNED THE LOSS
OF A VERY KIND FRIEND AND LIBERAL LANDLORD.

CHA's SLINGSBY ATKINSON: RECTOR
HUGH NOTTINGHAM CHURCHWARDEN


Data transcribed by
Jack Parry.
from photography by Colin Hinson