HAYTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (Holme Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Londesborough - Petity Sessional Division of Wilton Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Pocklington - Rural Deanery of Weighton - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish includes the townships of Hayton and Bielby, containing, according to the Ordnance Survey, 3,636 acres. The estimated extent of Hayton township is 1822 acres, the rateable value £2,609, and the population in 1891 was 199. The soil is light, and the subsoil gravel and marl; wheat, barley, oats, and turnips are the chief crops. Trevor Wheler Calverley-Rudston, Esq., J.P., D.L., C.C., of Allerthorpe Hall, who is lord of the manor; Lord Herries, Everingham Park; Henry Preston, Esq., Edward Reed Templeman, Hayton; Mrs. Lamb, Rugby; and Mrs. Jackson, Pocklington, are the principal landowners.
The manor belonged from an early period to the ancient and honourable family of Rudston. Sir John Rudston, Knight, was lord of the manor in the reign of King John. A baronetcy was subsequenty conferred upon the family, but the title expired with the third baronet, who was succeeded in the estate by Elizabeth Rudston, his sister and heiress. She married Henry Cutler, Esq., and survived her husband, but having no issue she devised the family property to her cousin, Rudston Calverley, Esq. This gentleman, on inheriting the estate, assumed the surname and arms of Rudston. His eldest son and successor, the Rev. Thos. Cutler-Rudston, assumed the name of Read in compliance with the will of William Read, Esq., of Sand Hutton. He married Louisa, third daughter of Henry Cholmley, Esq., of Whitby Abbey, and had a numerous family. The present owner is his grandson.
The village is pleasantly situated on the York and Beverley road, two-and-a-half miles south of Pocklington, and four miles north-west of Market Weighton. The church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, is an ancient edifice, of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave with north aisle, south porch, and a western embattled tower with pinnacles. The aisle is divided from the nave by a Norman arcade of three bays springing from massive cylindrical pillars, the capitals of which are adorned with sculptured foliage and monsters. The church was carefully and tastefully restored in 1860, when the porch was rebuilt, and the east window, of three lights, filled with stained glass in memory of Sir Thos. Rudston, second Bart., who died in 1707, and Catherine, his wife, daughter of George Montayne, Esq., of Wistow, and Elizabeth, their daughter and heiress, before mentioned. All the other windows are also filled with stained glass, and were restored in 1860 by W. H. Rudston-Read, Esq., who also defrayed the expense of re-building the porch. The inner doorway is a piece of fine Norman work. The ancient font was discovered and replaced in the church after the late restoration. It is octagonal in shape, and has the appearance of considerable antiquity. There are no monuments in the church of any importance. There are 200 sittings. The registers date from 1610.
The living was appropriated to the deanery of York in 1252, and a vicarage ordained with the perpetual curacy of Bielby annexed, now in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and held by the Rev. Joseph Bellot Litler, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. It is worth £260 per annum, derived from tithe and 170 acres of land, 20 acres of which are in Beeford parish. The great tithes are commuted for a rent-charge of £326, and belong to the Dean of York.
There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel in the village, rebuilt in 1860, The school was built by the late W. H. Rudston-Read, Esq., in 1854, for the children of Hayton and Burnby. There is accommodation for 50, and there are 46 names on the books. The poor of Hayton have 16 acres of land in Bielby, and a few small rent-charges now in the hands of trustees, producing altogether about £28 a year.
BIELBY, is a township, the estimated extent of which is 1,675½ acres, rateable value £1,821, and the number of inhabitants in 1891 was 195. The soil is chiefly sandy with a little clay, the subsoil sandy gravel, and the general crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and potatoes. The Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford, who are lords of the manor; Lord Herries. Everingham Park; John Fourby, Esq., Pocklington; Hubert Lamb, Esq., Melbourne House, Rugby; Wm. Elgey, Driffield; Mrs. Stork, and the Vicar are the principal landowners. There are many small freeholders.
The village is small and straggling, and stands two-and-a-half miles southwest of Hayton, four miles south of Pocklington, and within a little distance of the Pocklington canal which intersects the township. There is here a chapel-of-ease to Hayton. It is an ancient building, of stone and brick covered with a coating of cement, with a wooden belfry. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1837. Over the doorway is a sun dial, signed "J. Smith, Delin. Bielby, 1838." The National school was erected in 1871, for the accommodation of 50 children, and is attended on an average by 32. There are 12 acres of land, left by Luke Bateman in 1648, for the benefit of the poor, who have also three annual rent-charges amounting to 30s.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.