[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HEDON, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberty of Hedon and St. Peter's; 8 miles E. of Hull, and 2 miles E. of the Humber. The town consists chiefly of one street, in the middle of which is the Market place; it is well paved, and the road in every direction in good condition. The parish comprises an area of 276 acres, and the population which has been increasing progressively for the last twenty years, now amounts to 902, though, in 1801, the numbers were only 592." (There is further information for Hedon).
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Hedon in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Hedon.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hedon to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA190285 (Lat/Lon: 53.739312, -0.197276), Hedon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA163285) Salt End
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish