The Ancient Parish of HELPERTHORPE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HELPERTHORPE, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 9 miles NW. of Driffield. Here is a chapel of the Established church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Peter, of which the dean and chapter of York are the patrons; and the Rev. Richard Forrest, the vicar. Pop. 157."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 85 gravestones and plaques at Helperthorpe with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Helperthorpe in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Helperthorpe.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Helperthorpe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE953703 (Lat/Lon: 54.119744, -0.543439), Helperthorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE961685) Cross Thorns Barn
- (SE938716) High Barn
- (SE966672) Little Pasture (farm)
- (SE964690) The Slack