Hide

HEMINGBROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"HEMINGBROUGH, a parish in the wapentake of OUZE-AND-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Barlby, and the township of Brackenholme with Woodall, Cliff with Lund, South Duffield, Hemingbrough, Menthorp with Bowthorp, and Osgodby, and containing 1855 inhabitants, of which number, 500 are in the township of Hemingbrough, 4$% miles E.S.E. from Selby. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of How denshire, endowed with & 1800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a cruciform structure, principally in the later style of English architecture, with a tower rising from the intersection: it was made collegiate in 1426, the revenue of the society, at the dissolution, having been valued at £84. 11. A small school is endowed with the rent of two acres of land, called the. School Close."


"BARLEY, a chapelry in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of OUZE and DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, If mile E.N.E. from Selby, containing 349 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Hemingbrough, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Howdenshire, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty. Here is a small endowed school."


"BOWTHORP, a township, joint with Menthorp, in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of Ouze and DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.E. from Selby. The population is returned with Menthorp."


"BRACKENHOLME, a township, joint with Woodhall, in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of OUZE and DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.W. from Howden, containing, with Woodhall, 90 inhabitants. It occupies a pleasant site near the river Derwent."


"CLIFF, a township, joint with Lund, in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 3½ miles E. from Selby, containing, with Lund, 501 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. In 1708, Mary Ward bequeathed £220 for the building and endowment of a school, towards the further support of which Mr. Whittall gave £100; the income is £40.16. 6., for which thirty scholars are educated."


"LUND, a township, joint with Cliff, in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E. from Selby. The population is returned with Cliff. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry or Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Aysgarth."


"MENTHORP, a township, joint with Bowthorp, in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK 7 miles N.N.W. from Howden, containing, Bowthorp, 49 inhabitants."


"OSGODBY, a township in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.N.E. from Selby, containing 185 inhabitants."


"SOUTH DUFFIELD, a township in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of OUZE-AND-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from Selby, containing 181 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"WOODHALL, a township, joint with Brackenholme, in the parish of HEMINGBROUGH, wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Howden. The population is returned with Brackenholme."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]