Hide

HEMINGBROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"HEMINGBROUGH, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Howden, its post town, 5 E. of Selby, and half a mile from the Cliff station on the Hull and Selby railway. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated on the river Ouse, and contains the townships of Menthorpe-with-Bowthorpe, Osgodby, Barlby, Cliff-cum-Lund, Duffield South, and Brackenholme-with-Woodhall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £85, in the patronage of the crown. There is also a district church at Barlby, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £105. The parish church, which was made collegiate in 1426, is a cruciform structure dedicated to St. Mary. The tower stands in the centre of the building, and is crowned with a spire 191 feet in height, and contains eight bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments, also a screen, old register, &c. In the chantry of St. Nicholas is an altar tomb, and the figure of a skeleton. The parochial charities produce about £83 per annum, of which £41 goes to 4 school. There is a school for both sexes in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. - Wilson, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"BABTHORPE, (or Bowthorpe), a hamlet in the parish of Hemingbrough, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.W. of Howden."


"BARLBY, a chapelry in the parish of Hemingbrough, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, in the East Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N.E. of Selby, its post town. The Selby and Market Weighton railway passes near it. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £65, in the patronage of the Vicar of Hemingbrough. There is a school with a small endowment."


"BOWTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Hemingbrough, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. W. of Howden. It is a joint township with Menthorpe."


"BRACKENHOLME, a township united with Woodhall, in the parish of Hemingbrough, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, in the East Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.W. of Howden. It is situated in a pleasant spot on the river Derwent, not far from the Selby and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern railway."


"CLIFF CUM LUND, a township in the parish of Hemingbrough, in the wapentake of Ouse, in the East Riding of the county of York, 2 miles E. of Selby, its post town."


"MENTHORPE WITH BOWTHORPE, a township in the parish of Hemingbrough, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Selby. At Menthorpe Gate is a station on the Selby and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern railway. It is situated on the river Derwent."


"OSGODBY, a township in the parish of Hemingbrough, wapentake of Ouse, East Riding county York, 2½ miles N.E. of Selby, its post town. It is situated near the Hull railway and the river Ouse. Certain impropriate tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1811. G. P. Dawson, Esq., of Osgodby Hall, is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"SOUTH DUFFIELD, a township in the parish of Hemingbrough, in the East Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N.E. of Selby. The Wesleyans have a chapel hero."


"WOODHALL, a township in the parish of Hemingbrough, East Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Howden. It is joined to Brackenholme."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013