The Ancient Parish of HESLINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HESLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; 2 miles SE. of York. The chapel is dedicated to St Peter and St. Paul (see Churches for photograph) and the prebendary of Ampleforth in York cathedral is the patron, the Rev. Francis Metcalf is the incumbent. Here is a hospital for 8 poor men, and 1 poor woman, with a rental from the Castle Mills, at York, which let for £50. per annum, and also £5. per annum from a rectory in Cleveland. Pop. 513.
This ancient seat is situated about two miles south-west from the city of York, and above ten miles from the town of Pocklington. As a building, the Mansion is a remarkably fine specimen of the age of Elizabeth, having remained with little alteration; the ornamented Porch, ascended by steps, leads to the Hall, in length 41 feet; width, 21 feet; height, 28 feet; which has the appearance of much antiquity, and greatly resembles the hall of a college. At the lower end is a screen of oak, handsomely carved. On each side are placed two large oak tables. The roof is particularly admired for its elegant and elaborate workmanship. There are upwards of 60 different shields arranged on wainscot pannels round the hall, with the family arms and intermarriages up to the present time. The family is of great antiquity, dating its origin in this country; from the period of the Norman Conquest, commencing with Eustachius, Lord of Yarburgh, in the county of Lincoln, in the year 1066. Beyond the hall, in which are several Royal as well as family Portraits, by Vandyke, Kneller, and Lely, &c. is a drawing-room, 30 feet long, corresponding in style with the hall, and adjoining are several other apartments, and formerly a gallery 108 feet in length. All these appear to have been arranged as a suits of state apartments for the reception of Queen Elizabeth, under the direction of her Chancellor, had her Majesty visited the north."
- Photographs of the over 500 gravestones in Heslington Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Heslington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Heslington.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Heslington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE627504 (Lat/Lon: 53.945916, -1.046212), Heslington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish