Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HESLINGTON. Church dedication: ST. PAUL. Church type: Peculiar. Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 2570 acres. Ouse and Derwent wapen-take. -Population *1, 231 ; Church-room, 150; Net value, £63.
In the town of Heslington are twelve carucates of land, whereof sixteen oxgangs were held by Henry Fitz-, for a knight's fee, and he of the Earl of Richmond, as he held them of the king in capite.
And the Master of St. Leonard's hospital held two other carucates of the said Henry, and three other carucates of the said Henry, in copsy, who held them of the heirs of Mowbray, as they of the king in capite, for one knight's fee.
And the Chapter of St. Peter's, York, held five carucates of land here.
And the Prebendary of Ampleford hath in Heslington his dominical manor, or capital messuage (wasted), and eight oxgangs of demesne lands, each oxgang containing eight acres of arable and one of meadow.
Also a certain meadow called Prest-croft, and common of pasture and turbary, extending westward as far as Thursepoll.
Besides he hath there twelve bondmen, ten of whom hold twenty-four oxgangs of land at 18d. per oxgang, and certain services.
Also four cottagers holding their tofts and crofts at certain rents and services.
Moreover the said Prebendary hath in Heslington the Church of St. Paul, is Rector of the same, and receives all kind of tithe, both great and small of the men thereof.
Also the Prebendary of Driffield hath in the town of Heslington one toft and one carucate of land and divers tenements, out of which he receives the tithe both great and small, and one mark per annum.
Patron and Impropriator, the Prebendary of Ampleford.
Valued in 1707 at £6 ; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 166, and vol. xviii. page 117, at £5, ; Impropriator, £60. No minister. £5 paid by the Impropriator. " The township formerly belonged to a Church-yard without the walls of the city of York, now pulled down. To be made a parish :" and in 1818, at £58. 2s. per annum.
Augmented in 1740, with £200; in 1772, with £200; in 1787, with £200; in 1795, with £200; and in 1827, with £200, all by lot.
This Chapel has the right of sepulture, and marriages are solemnized therein.
31st July 1812, a faculty was granted to enlarge and new pew the Chapel.
An Inclosure Act was passed 1st Geo.
Jurisdiction. - Prebendal Court of Ampleford.
No Glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1653. Entries of marriages in the first book very defective. Vide transcripts in the Prebendal Registry at York.
Sir Thomas Hesketh's Hospital, founded by deed, dated 19th June 1630. It consists of a master, and seven poor brethren, and one poor sister, who are incorporated, and have a common seal. The endowment, exclusive of the house and premises, originally consisted of five water corn mills, called Castle Mills, which heretofore belongedto the dissolved Monastery of St. Leonards in the city of York, which the master, brethren, and sister were required to lease to the Hesketh family, owners of the manor of Heslington, under the clear yearly rent of £50. In 1796, the mills were given up to the Foss Navigation Company, and a yearly rent charge of £50 is secured upon the mills, tolls, and duties. There is also a yearly rent charge of £5 on an estate at Hutton Rudby, the property of the Dowager Lady Amherst, but the Commissioners met with no deeds relative to it. In 1795, Mr. Yarburgh, the Lord of the Manor, re-built the hospital, and was also at a considerable expense in maintaining and securing the rights of the hospital on the occasion of the Castle Mills being taken for the purposes of the Foss Navigation Company, The master has £6. 13s. 4d. per annum, and each also of the brethren and also the sister have £5 per annum ; the residue is for repairs, maintaining the common fire in the hall, or for other common benefits. The men to be old, aged, and impotent, above the age of fifty years, the master one that can read, to the end that he may read prayers daily morning and evening in the hospital, and of good fame, and without other maintenance, and the sister to be an old poor widow, about the age of fifty years, of good name. Mr. Yarburgh is the patron and appoints the master, brethren, and sister. In case of neglect to nominate for fifty days the Lord Mayor of York to nominate, if he should not within forty days, then the Sheriffs for the city of York within twenty days, in default by them the Archbishop of York for the like term, and in case the Archbishop does not nominate, then the Dean of York to appoint for that time only. -Vide 12th Report, page 650.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS., (Peculiars), page 623. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 53.
*1 The parish is partly within the Liberty of St. Peter of York. The Return does not include that part of Heslington (population 305), which is within the parish of St. Lawrence, York. The area of the whole township is given above.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.