HESLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"HESLINGTON, a parish partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, comprising the greater portion of the township of Heslington, but chiefly in the wapentake of OUZE-and-Derwent, East riding of the county of YORK, and containing 513 inhabitants, of which number, 221 are in the township of Heslington, a portion of which is in the parish of St. Lawrence, York, 11 mile E.S.E. from York. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Ampleforth in the Cathedral Church of York, endowed with £800 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. Here is an almshouse for eight poor men and one poor woman, endowed with a rent-charge of £50 per annum, and £5 per annum from a rectory in Cleveland."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]